Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Lost in space?

The chances of this robot appearing here on my blog today were next to zero.

I was officially planning to continue doing the DIY in the house.


Not once today did Robbie the robot cross my mind, until now.

I was secretly wanting to hang out with some friends of mine in space.

Unusually on time, I dug out my PC from under a heap of washing, and looked for the head-set. Nope the headset was nowhere to be found.

I sighed and typed in the password.

To no avail.

At 17:00 French time the PC for the first time in its short life had decided not to understand keyboard.

Damn you!

I restarted, I restarted, I restarted.

No worries, I am used to these sort of games.

I got the iPad out, logged into the hangout from Google+ and saw I was still on time...

A reassuring message appeared:

"The hangout will be going live shortly."
(or something along those lines).

As I waited patiently, I found a ctlr key stuck in my PC keyboard (probably the cat had lain down on it) and looked up on the net for hacks to break into a clueless, keyless PC safe.

I got through security, phew! The keyboard had not been catastrophed!

I arrived at that reassuring message of welcome:

"The hangout will be going live shortly."

As I was waiting, some other of my friends turned up in the event waiting room, (purgatory perhaps?).

There were a few brief exchanges: "Was this the right room, the right platform for #rhizo14 catchup?"

Yup, it was. We waited, we waited, it was over.

It was a girl.

The delivery was a great success, this "midwife" assured us. It had happened. The meeting, the catch-up. There were no photos, no videos. A feeling of frustration, we had missed the birth. We were there. We were witness to the event...sort of.

Nevermind, there will be another time.

This time will not wait, it is here, marked in this space, curiously evident of something difficult to define.

It is a time, when I was looking to meet up with friends, that I have never really met face to face so to speak.

It is in the middle of the summer. There is something which connects us. It is not easy to define.

We shall call it for want of a better word: the Rhizome.

Earlier today I read these lines of Jung. I am not sure how I found them, I am not sure why they are being placed here at the end of this post. I shall leave them to keep Robbie the Robot company.

Unlike him, I am not lost in space.


"Life has always seemed to me like a plant that lives on its rhizome. 
Its true life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome. The part that 
appears above the ground lasts only a single summer. Then it 
withers away —an ephemeral apparition. When we think of the 
unending growth and decay of life and civilizations, we cannot 
escape the impression of absolute nullity. Yet I have never lost the 
sense of something that lives and endures beneath the eternal flux. 
What we see is blossom, which passes. The rhizome remains." 
(Carl Jung Memories, Dreams, Reflections 4)

I am connected...




1 comment:

  1. I shall have to re-read Jung. I think he had it right all along.

    ReplyDelete