Sunday, March 6, 2016

Platform Game.



That's when we get to the next level..


Question:
Does "rhizomatic learning" exist without the internet?

Possible answer:
Of course.

Possible responses to possible answer:


  • OK but does it matter? 
  • OK does it count? 
  • OK if it matters/counts  why?


Possible supplementary question:
Do indigienous/native/aboriginal people do "rhizomatic learning"?

Possible answer:
Er...

Possible response to possible answer:
Why may your hesitation be important?

Question:
What images does the word 'blockchain' suggest to you?


Supplementary question:
Do any of the images you associate with the word 'blockchain'  correspond to what you consider to be your concept of freedom?

Possible answer:
Yes. Validation will be distributed. Everybody will have access to the ledger.

Possible response:
Everybody can access music 'knowledge' 'information', 'books',  'freely''...Is that freedom?

Possible answer to possible response:
Er...

Possible response to possible answer:
Why may your hesitation be important?

If you are reading this it is thanks to a platform.

Touches of the sense is 'my' platform.

I am accessing the platform 'freely'. 

Though I am paying the ISP, the EDF (electricity company), for the PC, for the pleasure...

I am giving up access to this 'data' contained on this platform.

When you read this 'freely' you will be enabling the collection of more 'data' for this platform.

I and you will receive more acutely targeted commercial messages thanks to this 'data'.

I may receive more acutely targeted government surveillance thanks to this 'data'.

This is for purposes of security.

I am not sure that that equates to freedom.

If we must access the net to be free what does that say about our freedom?

If we must manage our 'personal data' what does that say about  the use of the word 'personal'?

Is 'data' freedom?

Why do I need 'data'?

If I don't need 'data' who does?

Do indigienous/native/aboriginal people need 'data'?

If we must rely on a "globally-stretched net" and be a "global citizen" what does that say about freedom?

I must now submit my tax forms via the net to the French state.

I accept to pay taxes for services which are "for the common good".

I am not sure to what extent my vote guarantees me having any voice in what 'services' are considered 'for the common good'.

I don't have a vote in France.
I don't have a vote in England.
I am voteless.

Unlike Google I pay my taxes here.

Who is paying for my "freedom" here?

Do they have our best interests at heart?

To what extent is Google not evil?

Will Google pay for my health care?

Will Facebook pay for my education?

What will be the cost?

Will I get a vote on how they design my education?

I read an article about indigineous people:

Murrumu: one man's mission to create a soverign Indigenous country inside Australia.

I read an article about platforms written by Douglas Rushkoff on the Medium platform:
Corporations weren't designed to run on code.

It appears to me that corporate monopolies don't have our best interests at heart.

To what extent does Uber feel concern for taxi drivers in France?

It appears to me that national governments don't have our best interests at heart but at least there is the means to exercise a minimal level of local pressure on such institutions to consider the implications of their policies on the local populations.

What means are there to exercise pressure on an algorithm?

I read an article on a bank blog (unusual for me) entitled:
Blockchain-based digital identity will disrupt commerce and government.

I am always suspicious when I hear the word 'disrupt'.

I found an article from the New Yorker entitled:
The disruption machine - What the gospel of innovation gets wrong.

"Disruptive innovation" is 'better' for some.

The question is what is this 'better' and who are "the some"?

"The idea of innovation is the idea of progress stripped of the aspirations of the Enlightenment, scrubbed clean of the horrors of the twentieth century, and relieved of its critics. Disruptive innovation goes further, holding out the hope of salvation against the very damnation it describes: disrupt, and you will be saved."

Social improvements have generally come through conflict within communities.

People in power care little for the life of slaves as long as they have fine linen and a nice view.

Moneyed ignorance is bliss.

Moneyed vulgarity becomes a platform for presidential candidates...

Is freedom access to a platform?

Whose platform will guarantee our freedom?

Do our 'democratic' platform politics guarantee our freedom?

People have challenged exploitation, slavery, working conditions...in the streets.

How do you challenge a distant, distributed platform with its artificial intelligence and weaponed drones?

Is Facebook Irish if I use it in France?

I note the Pyrrhic victory of Alan Levine in his battle to protect himself against catfishing:
We regret to inform of the passing of Malle Gottfried's Facebook profile.

I fear that much of "rhizomatic learning" will concern learning to live within this net.

Is this learning in the wild or corporately husbanded learning?

Will access to such platforms be our only means of sustenance?

I think of the French farmers who are obliged to sell their produce to hypermarkets.

Will denial of access to such platforms guarantee our extinction?

While the French farmers are considering suicide, the market platforms are thinking about profit.

What is the cost for cheap milk and big profit?

Who cares?

What is it to talk of a 'global platform'?

Who cares about the indigienous/native/aboriginal people who are dead in the name of progress?

Who cares about diminishing fish stocks, polluted rivers, impoverished farmers?

Shareholders?

Is this platform to be our water?

We are platform game...

I fear my friend we are netted dead or alive.




There it is, we are stripped of all that is marketable, skinned, gutted and recycled.

These are the bare bones of it.

This is 'data'. 
This is 'data'.
This is 'data'

Tread softly on 'my' 'data'.






2 comments:

  1. I'm always suspicious of anything "innovative" as well.

    Is it a net we are doomed to be caught in, or a goldfish bowl?

    Who cares? Who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ask too many questions.

    That's Good.

    ReplyDelete