Friday, December 19, 2014

A Christmas Carol.



“It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.” 
Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Massacre

I arrived at school to a seasonal assault of good will from a group of singers.  


They were belting out a rendition of some French carol.  

They were wide-eyed with joy.

The musical massacre made me feel slightly ill.


Reconciliation


Despite it all, I couldn't help but be enthused by their full-hearted humour.  

They ended their song with a rousing hurrah.  

They won me round.  

I smiled in appreciation and no irony. 

Rubbish song, unchallengable human spirit.  

I remember so many Christmases which exemplify human endurance:
  • Neverending Turkey  
  • Christmas sweaters 
  • Christmas church-attending  
  • Christmas squabbling

I wonder if those who perpetrate horrific acts do so with expressions of joy?

Dickens, I wish I believed that the story of Scrooge was universal.

Happy Christmas (War is Over)

                                           




Yoko Ono; John Lennon




No comments:

Post a Comment